Sunday 8 June 2014

Guardian Angel ?

For 12 years we've been remembering a little girl called Zara on the 9th of June . This very special little girl died in Great Ormond Street in London of Meningitis. We never met this toddler in her lifetime but everyday for nearly 12 years now she's been a special part of our life. 

Her heart beats on strongly inside of Eloise. Zara's heart saved Eloise from dying of viral cardiomyopathy. Zara's heart has enabled Eloise to grow up and to live a full and happy life. Zara lives on through Eloise and with Eloise. Zara also saved another little girl with liver failure. 

     This year it's different as this year I'm in contact with Rebecca , Zara's mum. Today we've been emailing as Rebecca and Zara's siblings have been in Battersea Park doing the GOSH 5km Race For Kids in Zara's memory. Rebecca has just said to me do you know that Zara died on the 8th of June around now (10pm) but her brain stem tests were done in the morning of the 9th. Her death certificate says the 9th. Of course I didn't I guess like the majority of us I know little about being a donor family, the process or the timing . I just wrongly presumed time of death would be after organ donation. Zara's heart was with the Freeman team late Evening so Eloise was then taken to theatre and transplanted during the early hours of the 10th June. Rebecca feels privileged to have that extra night with her baby, I feel privileged to have held my baby for another 12 years.  

     Tomorrow we will do the same as we always do on the 9th, light some candles and send a helium balloon up to Eloise's guardian angel with a message attached. We just think about Zara and reflect on how far Eloise has come because of her and her mothers incredible strength. 

      I may have given birth to Eloise but two mothers have given her the gift of life, me and Rebecca, so I will always have an immense bond with this incredible lady. 

   Thinking of you Zara , fly high sweetheart Xxxx

                              

No comments:

Post a Comment