Tuesday 14 July 2015

The Questions

The Questions -  

Heart transplantation is not considered to be a cure for heart disease, but a life-saving treatment intended to improve the quality of life for recipients.
                       


There have been many questions asked over the years about Eloise and her heart transplant, so I've put the ones that reoccur the most into this blog post. I guess it just clarifies a few things and yet again gives me an outlet to off load more thoughts .

 In the beginning I tried to shield many people from the reality of Eloise having a heart transplant. I didn't want to speak up or out about it, it was too hard, too raw, too emotional. Now I've got stronger, braver maybe ? Now I know it's ok to not be ok, does that make sense ? Ask me anything now and I can answer it, give you the truth but you have to make sure you want to hear it. Maybe for you it's better things are left unsaid ?
     
           When we came home from hospital for the first time after Eloise's transplant it was tough. You had those people that didn't know what to say, they avoided you. You had those that thought it frightfully exciting, well interesting, just wow, they wanted to know everything. One of these people was Eloise's Health Visitor, she arrived with no knowledge of heart transplant children but wanted to know the full "how interesting " story. So frustrating educating someone who should be providing you with support. I'm not sure if we ever saw her again !  
 
What was Eloise's  diagnosis , did you know she needed a heart transplant when she was born ? 
Nope complete surprise, that doesn't sound right, ahhhh yes not a surprise a bloody huge shock. Eloise was born with a structurally normal heart , she had a fetal echo when I was 20 weeks pregnant and also as she was 8 weeks premature her heart was checked again while she was in NICU. Sadly a mild childhood virus ( hand, foot and mouth disease ) caused a rare complication. Eloise had myocarditis, an infection of the heart muscle. This left her with cardiomyopathy , essentially an enlarged baggy heart that only functioned at 13%. When she was diagnosed initially there was a small glimmer of hope that her heart may over time recovered from the virus , so she was ventilated and given medication to support her heart. Sadly her condition deteriorated further until transplantation offered her the only chance of survival. 

Did Eloise have a whole / complete heart transplant ? 
Yes you can't have half a heart transplant but you can have donor heart valves. Eloise didn't just have a repair job she had a full engine change. Never one do do things by halves ! 

Do you feel sad when you think about someone dying to keep her alive ? 
Of course I'm only human, being a nurse it's been my role to preserve life not to take it for granted. But the sadness isn't all consuming, I don't think about it all the time. I guess I think of Zara and her mum Rebecca rather than Zara dying . It was much harder initially such huge amounts of guilt your child alive because another family's baby died. That's tough emotionally made even harder when you are dealing with your own precious child who has had major life changing surgery . Eloise was fit and well then boom, I have a child with a complex medical condition. A child who is now classed as life limited. I feel I have grieved for my own child as well as Zara. I feel bereaved as I have lost my healthy child and it's a battle to keep her well. I have to hand her over to health professionals for tests so they can reassure me that all is well with her transplanted heart. 
 Another scenario in this situation could have been two children dying from illnesses so I have to believe Eloise living is the best outcome for both my family and Zara's. 

Is she fine now ? 
      Tough one, easy answer yes thanks, but I'm interpreting "is she fine now ?" To not just mean Today . I'm thinking when someone asks me this they are thinking long term. So honest answer yes she's great right now ( leaning heavily on right now, today ) thanks. 
Deeper answer.......does anyone actually want to hear it ? Transplantation is wonderful but you swap one set of issues for another, it's a constant juggling act . The tests never stop happening, there's no cure, no lull really or respite from worry. It's not they've had the transplant now yippee all fixed. Wouldn't that be just fabulous ! Regular blood tests, echo's, ecg's, exercise tests and angiograms. Ahh the angiogram always lovely signing a consent form with risk of death as a complication ! Then the big whammy you get given facts and figures pre transplant of post transplant life expectancy. "Normal" children don't come with those do they ? When I was desperate for my child to live one more day hearing average life expectancy 5-10 years didn't seem that bad when I heard it 13 years ago. Now we've exceeded that things seem a little scarier but I think the new figures are 15-20 years. Not great, but progress. But statistics are so hard to hear, read, process. As well as life expectancy rates you get given percentage of how many heart transplant recipients live for one year, five years, ten years. She's not a statistic she's my daughter. Never just a statistic ! 
So yes, Eloise is fine but it takes a group of skilled people to keep her that way and her determination of course. You cannot take anything for granted with Eloise's health she can be really unwell yet show no outward signs, her body compensates so well. 

Will she always need to take medication ? 
     Until recently I would have always said yes and I guess she will always take a prescription or two but there have been medical advances recently looking into manipulating the immune system so perhaps one day anti rejection drugs and their side effects maybe a thing of the past. But for now popping a few pills in order to stay alive, fit and well is easy for Eloise and just part of her normal routine. 

Will she need a second heart transplant ? 
I just don't know, I've no idea why the first transplant doesn't work out as well for some , there seems to be no correlation with life style, etc as young children need second hearts . Then I know of other individuals transplanted 30 years plus and they are fit and well. If the Drs knew the winning combination everyone transplanted would be living longer. I'm lucky to know people who have received second transplants to get that reassurance it can happen again . The problem with being listed again is in my opinion the psychological side of things your naivety has gone, you're in the transplant world already, eyes wide open. 

How do you cope ? 
You'd cope too you know, what other choice is there ? You cannot give up on your child, seeing them fight so hard gives you the strength to keep going. I don't think I've regretted letting Eloise have a heart transplant . I've admitted before I was unsure whether to get her listed initially, thinking a life of hospitalisation but when she survived a flight to Newcastle I had to say yes to her being listed. I needed to give her a chance. I suppose we try to live for the day and enjoy each day, making memories when ever we can. Of course my mind still wanders, I'm still frightened I'll outlive my child, experience life without such an important part of myself in it, my baby, my child, my Eloise but she's here, she's happy, she's very much alive. I guess we never take life for granted , we enjoy our time together, we create memories and are quite spontaneous. Hence our house renovations are quite behind schedule as something better to do always comes first ! So to me living day to day can be a bonus, we appreciate what we have, each other. 

How do you live like that ? Knowing you could lose her ? 
What choice do I have ? Tell me ? 
We live a normal family life. Eloise pops a few pills in the morning and another handful at night, she goes to school, she comes home and sits in front of a computer screen, I throw food and drink at her, later she goes to bed. Repeated times five, weekends just involve more sleep and more sitting in front of a screen, with the odd reluctant trip outside. I know quite boring ! So just like a lot of her teenage peers. Four times a year she has an outpatients appointment if she's behaving they aren't too big a deal. I know lots of people who have to put up with more than that to keep their children well and alive. Of course when Eloise is blipping it's hard, while trying to be optimistic, fear sneaks freely into my head. Fear is usually boxed away and reserved for appointments. Then life's a little tougher, it's uncertain and can be demanding mentally and physically. Juggling, the needs of Eloise's three other siblings, family commitments, running a home and work can be difficult and exhausting but we've been lucky and we've only had one tough year since the first. 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment