Friday 28 August 2015

Let's get personal

                         

How true is this quote ? If you aren't part of the transplant world how much time do you spend thinking about organ donation ? Any time at all ? I guess if you're my FB friend you're bombarded with it daily , I make no apologies for that, it's a huge part of my life. 

     In 1989 I signed the organ donor register,  when I started my nurse training, never for one moment thinking I'd be relying on organ donation to keep my own child alive. I signed up because I believed if you can help someone after your death then why not, what's the point in destroying healthy organs that could save someone else's life. 

So fast forward quite a few years and I'm being told my previously well toddler has myocarditis , which led to dilated cardiomyopathy all from a simple childhood illness Hand, Foot and mouth. Her only chance of survival a heart transplant. I needed someone to say yes to organ donation, someone that had the same beliefs as me , that organ donation was the best outcome from the tragic passing of their loved one. We know Eloise got her call. Imagine if that call never came, my daughter would have been one of the three people a day that die waiting on the list, a statistic, a cruel one. This does happen, it's real, just this week a four month old baby lost her fight while waiting on the list for a heart transplant. The call never came it's just so awful. 
 
         What I can't understand though is why when questioned an impressive 96% of the UK public agree with organ donation, that's just amazing right ? 
Well actually no it's not because only 33% of them have bothered to sign the online register. It takes just two minutes a few clicks, just a TV ad break, a game of Candy Crush, a selfie, watching a YouTube video or any of those other things we do daily while wasting time. We must all have two minutes to spare ! Scrolling down Twitter or FaceBook feed how many times have you already done that today ? 
Did it enhance or change you life in any way ? 
Do you feel fulfilled ? 
Imagine becoming someone's Hero , that's what organ donors are.

      So come on guys get off social media and pop over to NHSBT and sign the organ donor register 
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-to-donate/ 

It's easy , I know you're all capable. Do this for all those waiting for life saving and life enhancing transplants. 

    If you need a reason I know plenty of them , all real, all with lives on hold as they wait for their call to come. Do this for Taylor, Eloise's friend he's nearly 16 years old, he used to be sporty , fit and active but now he can't even walk upstairs without being short of breath. That's no life, he desperately needs a second heart transplant , he needs his call. Waiting takes its toll on the whole family, life's not the same when you're in limbo. I'm thinking of my friend Donna, Taylor's mum, my pineapple she's an amazing lady but this is hard for her and there's little I can do to help. But if reading this inspires you to sign up I guess I've achieved something small. For Donna........

                           

So there you go you know how I feel about organ donation, ever so slightly passionate ! It's National Transplant Week coming up guys and this year they've moved it to September to coincide with Eloise's and Taylor's birthdays I guess 😊. Eloise's 15th birthday is on the day it starts the 7th, her 14th extra birthday because of organ donation. You could get yourself a donor card to honour Eloise's and Taylor's birthdays , the only gift needed is a transplant for Taylor so that will be the cake candle blowing wish this year. 

       




No comments:

Post a Comment